[Free-RTC Discuss] Free software speaker phone

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saghul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 12:38:48 GMT 2019

On 11/03/2019 11:07, karlo at klarinet.osamsb.hr wrote:
> I have in fact been using SIP on a Snom phone. This is not what
> I seek; rather, I want to use other hardware or at least a different
> operating system.
>
> The immediate prompt for me to do this is that I find it difficult
> to configure and debug the phone from its web interface and that
> I find the contacts management to be far worse than what I have
> on my personal computer. (And this has been the case for me with other
> SIP phones.) Rather than learning to program the phone appliance,
> I think it is more productive for me to add the necessary sound stuff
> to a relatively ordinary personal computer, and to use the same
> softphone and contacts managers that I usually use.
>
> Moreover, the ease of modifying the software is worthwhile for its
> own sake, as smalls problem like this almost always comes up.

Gotcha. "Spam" time!

We are currently working on an open source product in this space at Jitsi.

It's called Spot and while it's not ready for prime time yet, it's being
developed in the open: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-spot

This is a solution for physical video rooms, which involves running some
software in a computer that would be in the room, attached to a TV and
some speaker / microphone device, and then connect the room to a Jitsi
Meet conference.

You may want to keep an eye.

Cheers,

--